Thursday, October 10, 2013

5 Months in the Making

...or that time that I neglected my cooking blog. Eek!

To make it worth the wait, I will share one of my favorite dishes!

This recipe was given to me by a woman named Roseann Allen-Matthews, who was the director of my beloved summer camp when I was in high school. I spent an entire summer there in 2002, which just so happened to be a very dark time in my life. I was in a lot of emotional pain, was just beginning to fully realize my sexual orientation (sorry NOT sorry if that's TMI,) and I was really questioning my faith & purpose. Roseann and I had many a conversation around her kitchen table, and they honestly saved my life at that point. She was amid her own struggles at the time, of which I was naively unaware, but she had this calming & understanding nature, which made me feel incredibly safe. Her own demons got the best of her, and the world said goodbye to this magnificent person a few years back. I'll never forget her kindness, open heart, and spiritual guidance from that summer, and I think of her with fondness whenever I make this recipe. Without further adieu,

Roseann's Rice Pilaf

4 tbsp unsalted butter
1 onion, chopped (appx 1 cup)
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
1 cup dry white wine
2 cups uncooked long grain white rice
29oz chicken stock

In a Dutch oven, sauté veggies in butter over medium-high heat. Add rice and wine; stir until absorbed. Add broth and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 15-20min, checking doneness of rice at 15min mark.

A super simple recipe, tastes divine, & goes really well with grilled fish or chicken!

Rest in peace, Roseann, you fabulous lady, you! 


No comments:

Post a Comment