Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Salad for Sarah

Hey, y'all! Today's post is for a special girl, one who I watched grow from a super-cute baby to a beautiful young woman at my home church, St. John's Episcopal. She launched her new blog today, entitled 'Losing Weight for Life.' She's a brave soul, opening up about her weight loss journey & struggles, and I am beyond proud of her & her honesty!


I wanted to share a recipe in her honor, one that tastes delicious, but is a healthy option. This is a recipe from a lady who in all honesty is known for anything but healthy recipes: Paula Deen! I know she's been under a lot of fire lately, and I'm not excusing her, but Mama Deen has a winner in this recipe! I've made it more times than I can count, and it's always a hit. It takes a classic, lightens it up, and presents it beautifully.

Chicken Salad-Stuffed Tomatoes


6 large tomatoes
2 cups cooked & cubed chicken
1/2 cup minced red bell pepper
1/2 cup corn, drained & rinsed
1 1/2 tbsp minced red onion
1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice 
1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tbsp mayonnaise
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
Spinach leaves or Bibb lettuce

Cut 1/2 inch top off of each tomato. Scoop out pulp from tomatoes. Turn tomatoes upside down on paper towels to drain.

In a medium bowl, combine chicken, bell pepper, corn, & onion.

In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil & next 6 ingredients. Pour over chicken, tossing gently to coat.

Line tomatoes with leaf lettuce or spinach leaves. Spoon chicken salad evenly into tomatoes. Serve immediately or refrigerate. 


The salad can be made ahead of time, and can also be eaten alone if you aren't a tomato person, which I will never understand how said people exist. I LOVE tomatoes! I've also made this & added half a can of drained & rinsed black beans and served wrapped up in a whole wheat tortilla at a fiesta-themed party- everyone loved them!

I hope you enjoy this recipe, and I hope you'll check out & continue to follow Sarah's blog! ...& be sure to follow @woopigfoodieblog on Instagram!


No comments:

Post a Comment